Wednesday, August 24, 2011

WIP Wednesday: Jumping on the Blogging Bandwagon

I'm thinking of "linking up" with some of the WIP Wednesday bloggers in the sewing blogosphere.  The problem is, I don't really understand the etiquette.  Freshly Pieced is a modern quilt blog where bloggers put up thumbnails of their WIPs and then put a badge on their blog.  What I don't get is, how are the thumbnails generated? Do I just comment on the blog or what?  Aha! There looks like there's an upload tool.  Okay, let's try this out.  Here's the badge:
WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced


In Progress:
I am loving working on the romper that I told you about on Sunday.  I cut the pattern out that night and the following afternoon I cut the fabric pieces.

I've noticed that the majority of bloggers I read don't sew from patterns. I generally come across tutorials where sewists use clothing or accessories they own and like as guides.  I learned to read a pattern in my intro sewing class this summer and it's a really great skill to have. Figuring out this pattern without my instructor around to ask questions provided some challenges which I'm happy to say the internet, plus The Sewing Bible, solved.  For example, stay-stitching. I had no idea what this was. Now I know! It stabilizes fabric to prevent stretching during the sewing process and does not show in the final garment.

I've sewn the centre seams and the two side seams, including finishing the seams (with a zig zag stitch), plus finished my edges. I'll admit that my seam ripper got put to good use. I read recently that one should not hesitate to rip seams one is unhappy with and I took that to heart. Why end up with a product I'm not totally proud of, right?  I also had to take an extra trip up to Fabricland because I didn't buy snap tape before and the project really needs it.  I think I am about half done this project. Next steps are interfacing for the front and back tops of the romper, finishing all the hems and buttons. I'm going to use these huge red buttons I've had for a while. I don't think I'll make button holes though. I'm planning to use velcro instead.

My goal this week is to finish the romper by next Wednesday so that I can post photos of L in it for you to see! I'm making the 12 month size, so it'll be big, but he looks cute in anything!

Queued: I'm going to take the plunge and commit to a quilting project. I want to make a growth chart and I'm deciding between two tutorials.  The first is The Embroidered Growth Chart from The Longest Thread, and it actually a guest post from from Emily of The Student/Teacher, who I started reading a couple months ago.  I really like the simplicity of the design, plus it doesn't require a ton of fabric.  The other is the Watch Me Grow Chart from Moda Bake Shop and is by Crafty Gemini. There is more piecing in this project which is good from a learning perspective and it also requires just a jelly roll, plus two yards of additional fabric.  I'm not leaning one way or the other. 

My goal for the week for this project is to pick a tutorial and the fabric. I'm going to have to do my buying online. I called all the quilt stores in Toronto and no one carries Moda jelly rolls. I was really surprised since they are so popular on the blogs.

Can't wait to hear what Sara has been up to this week!  And anyone else who's been working away.  Join in the fun!







No comments:

Post a Comment