Friday, June 10, 2011

WIP Wednesday...on Friday

I'm two days late for WIP Wednesday this week because of Shavuot (a Jewish festival which ended late last night). DH was home from work for two days and it was wonderful to have family time smack in the middle of the week. I like Shavuot because it falls just when the nice weather is starting, it's traditional to eat dairy (yum!) and you can cook during festivals (as opposed to on Shabbat when cooking is verboten).

The big WIP Wednesday news for me is that I finished Raffiand dress! Her mom loved it, she cried which made me very happy! It fits her very well with room to grow. They sent me a photo of her in it. Try to pretend that she isn't wearing a tee shirt underneath the dress.

I love the ruffled hem. It's knit in a rib. Then on the purl stitches you purl in front and back to increase, so that you have a knit 1, purl 2 rib. After a few more rows you increase again (k1, p1, p in front and back, p1, repeat). The yarn I used doesn't show the rib very well, because it's somewhat textured but I still loved the end result.

My new project is a tee and it's for me! I never knit garments for myself so this is truly a first. Okay, full disclosure. I have started sweaters for myself in the past, but I've never finished one. This time, however, will be different.

The Yarn

Sirdar Snuggly Baby Bamboo. I bought it at Romni Wool. I rarely shop here, since my darling friend Haley owns a yarn store, but I was looking for a bargain and my memory was telling me that she didn't carry many bamboo yarns (I was right, she carries one line and only in pastels, though she would of course special order for me if I asked). Romni didn't have any bamboo on sale that appealed to me, but the Sirdar was only $5.95 a skein at 100 yards which is a good price. I had to settle on the colour. I wanted a lettuce green but there were only 3 skeins. I ended up choosing Denim and I'm very happy with it.

The Pattern

Pintuck tee from Platinum Knits. It's going to be a challenge for me. There are short rows, a bib to puck up and knit, waist shaping and all on 4 mm needles. My goal for the next 5 days is to cast on and knit the 6 round hem of twisted rib stitch. I know it isn't a huge goal, but I've got a baby who suddenly wants LOTS of attention so I'm aiming low.

Check out what Sara's working on over at Sweet & Crunchy. I like the place mats; They are the exact type of thing I want to make once I take my intro sewing course. And let me know what you're up to!

1 comment:

  1. The dress is so. cute!

    And I love the t-shirt you're making yourself. The colour, the pattern, I think it's going to be awesome. Can't wait to see you wear it!

    ReplyDelete