Thursday, July 21, 2011

8 Track Memories

My parents came of age in the late 60's and early 70's. My understanding is that there was a LOT of hair around the dinner table at my Mom's place. Mom could sit on hers, uncle #1 had a massive curly Jew-fro and uncle #2 had hair to his shoulders and a big ole 'stache. Ah, those were the days.

Growing up in my house, the music of choice was folk, folk and more folk. Think Simon and Garfunkel, Gordon Lightfoot, Bob Dylan and Peter Paul and Mary. My Dad's 8 track player lived in our spare bedroom (as an aside, we called that room the futon room, because for a long time, aside from the 8 track, that was the only thing in it). Even in the 80's that thing felt like an artifacts from a time gone by. My sister and I spent countless afternoons listening to Peter, Paul and Mommy. Confession: it was a long time before I figured out the right words to the phrase "autumn mist" in Puff the Magic Dragon. You couldn't google lyrics back then.

Last week I ordered two copies of this album, one for me and one for my sister. They arrived today and holy nostalgia! We put Levi in the Jolly Jumper and cranked up the volume.

The very first song on the album is my favourite. I was surprised to realize that I remembered most of the words! I hope Levi likes listening to this album as much as I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment